Forum of Mass Absconding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sun and Sea

2 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Sun and Sea - Page 2 Empty Re: Sun and Sea

Post by SeaHedgie Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:27 pm

Strider set his pieces of net down and took a seat near the youngster to see what he would fashion for a volleyball net. He hadn't noticed the backpack before, and it seemed to be packed with all sorts of essential tools for travel survival. "No rush, Hayde." he said as he watched. Hearing the kid say he'd never been called Hayde before made Strider wonder if he should explain his reasoning for the shortened name. "And if you'd rather I call you Haydrian, I can. It's just that all my buddies have nicknames. Take Ace for example, my best bud from Downunda. His real name is Dylan, but he'd never go by Dylan- not in a million years!"

As Haydrian continued to work on the net, Strider glanced back at the sunset. Still just as magnificent as ever, he thought. The hues of the sky were becoming more of an orange-red, but there would be plenty of light for a short game of volleyball. Maybe if Ace did show up soon, he'd get in on the game as well. Turning back to Hayde, he could see the kid making progress. "I hope Ace will be here soon- you'd really like him, I think."

SeaHedgie

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Sun Jul 07, 2013 7:57 pm

Listening to Strider's explanation, Haydrian started sorting the net fragments into smaller piles, and from those he chose a few pieces that were better intact, as well as one that was not. He unsheathed his traveler's knife, and with it began breaking up the ratter section of netting by cutting select parts of the remaining weave. He shook his head. "It's...different, but I guess I don't really mind." He said with a soft smile. "I guess it's just no one had ever thought to call me that before. Maybe that is one way this place is different then a lot of the other places I've stayed in." He'd visited one or two of the larger towns, and even one of the cities, but had never really spent as much time there. Maybe a few nights when he could afford too, but he often felt out of place, and it was generally easier for someone like him to find work in the smaller towns and villages. Most people could always use help with chores. It had been part of the reason he'd been surprised to get work here in the first day of his arrival. "Guess I usually don't stay in places this large all that often."

With practiced hands, he'd taken up the rough weave of one of the better scraps of net, and several of the pieces he had cut free and began snugly attaching one net section to the other he had laid out across his lap, mending some of the larger holes as he went. His confident hands and quick knots showed he was no stranger to this kind of work.

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SeaHedgie Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:08 pm

It was interesting to Strider to see the net coming together- this really was looking good! As he watched, he started taking mental notes, so the next time he needed a quick net, he'd know how to put one together too, even if there was no way it was going to look as good as this one did. He could tell Hayde had skills, and that was very impressive.

Listening to Haydrian's comments about Kawa Crossing being bigger than the average place he'd been in proved conclusively to Strider that this kid was no tourist- they'd find Kawa Crossing small, as opposed to large. It was time for Strider to stop talking about himself and find out more about Hayde. "So what brings you here to Kawa Crossing?" the teal hedgehog asked in an inquitsitive but gentle tone, as if to say that the question didn't have to be answered if Haydrian didn't want to.

SeaHedgie

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Sun Jul 07, 2013 8:24 pm

The rhythm of his work faltered at the question, though he quickly regained his place. This topic could some time prove to be troublesome, but he decided there probably wasn't any harm in his primary reasons, and maybe it would even give him the avenue he'd been looking for.

"Information." He replied as he wound another section of net together. "There are questions I'm searching for answers too. That was the reason I started traveling. This part of Mobius is a place I haven't been before, and a new possibility to find what I seek. I didn't really know about Kawa Crossing before, but after paying my way onto the ship from the mainland to here, I needed a place to stay, and a place to find work. One of the other passengers told me that this was the largest port we would visit first, and I also learned there were a variety of people here, as well as a decent sized library. Larger towns and cities are always good places to learn about an area, so I decided to get off here."

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SeaHedgie Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:37 pm

Information...searching for answers...seeking something. It was still too vague for Strider to put together exactly why the kid was there. But since they'd just met, if this was as personal of a quest as it seemed, Strider knew Hayde wouldn't come out with everything right away. If the kid needed information about the beach scene, Strider knew he had that, but it had to be something else, given the need to visit the library. Might as well help him out, Strider thought.

"Yeah, there's a lot of information in Kawa Crossing about all sorts of things. That library is just over the next ridge." He pointed to the area just overhead and to their right. "Not sure what you need there, but I hope you can find it easy enough! And looks like that net's almost ready, need my help to get it tied?"

SeaHedgie

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Thu Aug 01, 2013 5:52 pm

He nodded politely as Strider pointed toward the location of the library.  "I've been there a few times already....there is a lot to look through.  I don't know /where/ I might find a hint to what I seek."  He smiled.  "But thanks for the directions anyhow."  Quickly shuffling the net length by length through his hands, Haydrian pulled tight a few last knots, then nodded in satisfaction as he started to get up.  "Right. I think it should do." He chuckled lightly.  "It wouldn't pass inspection for catching any fish, but it should work as a volleyball net.  And thanks." He replied, tossing one end of the net to Strider, then walking over to attach his own to their make shift poles.  He was quiet as he attached the top and bottom ties to keep the net in place, then looked up again to Strider, dusting his hands off.  
They still had not seen the teal hedgehog's friend just yet, and Haydrian had been meaning to wait till the other arrived, but talking with Strider about what he sought made him even more curious.   Chewing the corner of his lip slightly, he spoke up, still trying to sound casual, almost off hand.  "I imagine you've noticed I'm a little....maybe more then a little....different then other Hedgehogs.  I don't suppose you have ever seen any other's with ears like mine," he drew a hand along one, drawing attention to it's unusual length, " or even markings like mine?"

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SeaHedgie Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:05 pm

As Strider finished tying his side of the net to the makeshift pole, he briefly studied with his eyes the youngster. While there were tourists that visited Kawa Crossing, he'd never seen a long eared hedgehog there. However, Downunda was a lot bigger, and Ace would know. Ace knew every beachgoer to Downunda. "Honestly, kid, I haven't seen any hedgehogs like you here at Kawa Crossing. But this is a tiny place compared to Ace's place in Downunda. When he gets here, we can ask him. Is this a long lost relative of yours?"

As they finished the net, a ferry boat appeared on the horizon, rapidly closing in to the shore. Strider noticed it immediately, turning his head to look at it. "That may be Ace's ferry now."

SeaHedgie

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:11 pm

It was about the answer he was expecting. His travels had already taught him to not get his hopes too high, or at least not show his disappointment. He couldn't give up. Though he had yet to encounter any others like him, or that knew of others like him, save the old Mobian from his home village, he knew Mobius was a big place.
"...........maybe." He answered Strider's question, following the path of the ferry with his eyes. "I don't really know..." he mumbled more to himself. It looked kind of like the one he'd been on, but with different markings..well, it had come from a different place. Braking his observation, he turned to face Strider. "It can't hurt to ask." He agreed, then considered. "Should we go meet with him at the docks?"

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SeaHedgie Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:36 pm

Strider could tell that this was a question Hayde wanted answered, and soon. "Sure we can meet Ace at the docks, but let's leave the net up. I still want to play a round with you before the sun goes down." From the shoreline, they could see the name of the ferry boat, the BILLABONG. That was the right boat alright, but was Ace on board? As he viewed the silhouettes of the backlit passengers, Strider noticed one that looked very familiar. "Yep, it's him." Strider told Hayde. Strider grabbed his volleyball, and the two headed for the dock, knowing they'd get there by the time the boat dropped anchor.

SeaHedgie

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Thu Aug 01, 2013 6:55 pm

Leaving the net was not trouble. He doubted anyone was likely to move or take it, the people here seemed to be good examples of the courteous side of the Mobian populace.
Though he knew his way back to the docks, having visited them a few times since he had arrived to admire the various boats that pulled into moor there, he let Strider lead. Ace was his friend after all, someone Haydrian did not know, and it would be more polite and less confusing to hang back till the two friends had greeted one another. Casually, he took note of the name of the ship from the distance, and puzzled at what significance it held. He'd learned a thing or two about how sailors like to name their ships back home, and that habit did not seem to change even as the regions did. And it was no wonder. Names held meaning and power to those who believed in them.
As they approached the docks, Haydrian fell back a few paces behind Strider. He didn't know Strider all that well yet, and though he liked what he'd seen so far, it would not have been good to forget that fact. As well that he knew even less about Strider's friend.

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by SeaHedgie Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:30 pm

Just as predicted, the BILLABONG dropped anchor at the dock the moment Strider and Haydrian reached it. Since it wasn't a huge ferry, all the passengers were above deck waiting for the exit ramp to drop. As Strider waited for them to begin to disembark, a voice from the boat's port side called to him. "Oy, Strider!" Looking up, Strider saw the red fox he'd known his whole life waving to him from the upper deck. "Hey Ace!" Strider called back, "Good to see you again!" "You're a sight for sore eyes, too, mate!" Ace replied. "I'll be right down when the captain lets us off this giant waverunner!"

A moment or two later, the ramp dropped, and after a handful of passengers disembarked, Ace came running down the ramp. The red fox was in his favorite lemon yellow print swim trunks with a matching armband halfway between his left shoulder and elbow. Like Strider, he lived by the philosophy, "No shoes, no shirt, no problems." His blue eyes shined with glee at seeing his best buddy again, and he greeted Strider with a huge hug that almost knocked them both over. The hug knocked Strider's volleyball out of his hand, and it rolled behind him. "How ya doin', mate? All ready for the tourney?" Ace asked. "Oh yeah!" Strider replied, trying to sound more confident than he actually felt inside. Ace noticed Strider's volleyball rolling off- "Whoops, dropped your ball, mate! I'll get it." By the time Ace reached the ball, it had rolled to Haydrian's feet. "Hey, kiddo, can I have that ball?" As Ace reached for the ball, Strider put a hand on Ace's right shoulder. "Actually, man, this is Hayde. He's a real cool guy." Strider could see the shyness and hesitation in Haydrian's eyes. "It's okay, Hayde, Ace doesn't bite. Come say hi!"

SeaHedgie

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:51 pm

It would have been easy to mistaken him for some one waiting merely for another of the people on the ship to disembark. He stood back, among a few others who had gathered in waiting, watching as the two met in their excited embrace. He could understand the feeling, he got it ever time he returned home, or to other places he'd grown fond of during his travels, seeing faces he had not laid eyes upon in years. He smiled to himself, watching them. It was clear they were very good friends, and it held a note of amusement. But it also made him miss people he had not seen in a long time, most keenly his Amma.

The exuberant hug knocked from his grip the ball the teal hedgehog had been carrying, and he watched it bounce along until it rolled to a stop against his bare toes. He was just starting to lean down to pick it up when Ace came up to him, chasing after the errant ball. Haydrian's sun pink eyes glanced up from under his brow to regard the other, but as Strider caught up with his friend, Haydrian let his gaze fall and he finished his grab for the volleyball. Rolling it over once in his hands, he passed it back to Strider.
This small action gave him the needed delay to pick his words. "Haydrian..." he said with a nod to acknowledge Ace. "But Hayde is fine." His glance seemed to study Ace with mixtures of caution, and hints of a veiled curiosity. It was not hard to tell that he was a perceptive youth.

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum