Forum of Mass Absconding
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

What Lies in the Ruins

3 posters

Go down

What Lies in the Ruins Empty What Lies in the Ruins

Post by Admin Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:46 pm

"You're sure you're ready for this?" Sally asked, graveness mixed with concern in her expression as the blue hedgehog swung his travel pack into place and adjusted the straps. "I know it hasn't hardly even been a week since you got back, and I hate to have to call you back to duty so soon..." Sonic cut her off with a cocky grin. "Sal, of course I'm ready for this! When aren't I?" He chuckled. "Heck, I'd been back in the game sooner if we'd had word back from the network sooner." Sally looked out the window as Sonic turned away to add more supplies to his gear, a frown furrowing her brow. Was it wrong for a 'Commander' to not be glad of a 'good soldiers' enthusiasm for what had to be done, she wondered. "Besides," Sonic continued, his back still to her, "I didn't like the sound of that report anymore then you did." He thoughtful look replaced his cocky readiness. Sally sighed. "I know...and other reports we've received have made it all too clear that Eggman has /definitely/been working on something, and know we might be able to get an idea of what....it's just that...." The pause in her voice told her childhood friend volumes more then a casual acquaintance would have heard, and the hedgehog paused in his preparations to face her. He was quiet for a time, before a soft smile crossed his face. "....I know, Sal. And...I guess I should say I'm sorry." Sally blinked, mildly surprised by the response. "This time....I thought...." She let out a long sigh. "It never gets any easier." Sonic chuckled, then turned serious. "Welcome homes have to be put aside sooner or later. And whether or not I'm 'ready' doesn't matter much either. We both know it. Eggman's not gonna wait for us, and one thing we all know, is when he's up to something, it's guaranteed to be bad news. And I rather know what it is before it has a chance to hit the fan." 

Here again.....the blue hedgehog thought as he stared up at the massive, once formidable, now reduced to ruins of what had once been East Robotropolis as they loomed up to blot out the darkening skyline. 

"Knuckles and Jewel confirmed the portal's installment last night." Sally informed the blue hedgehog, how gave a snort. "I'm half surprised ol' Red agreed to go along with this so soon." He scoffed, bringing a disapproving look from his Princess. She shook her head with a sigh, and continued. "They should be joining you shortly. This will good first mission for them." Sonic grinned, stowing a coil of rope in the side compartment of his pack. "Sure, might as well get em used to what it is to be a Freedom Fighter. When was it...the last time I took new recruits out for a stroll?" He said, more to himself. Sally left the terminal she'd been working at, and handed over a small bag with a shoulder strap. "Here's Nicole's partition. Remember, she won't have full functionality like she does now, this is only a part of her program. But...please take care of her." The Princess teased with a smile as Sonic accepted the bag. Hefting it's familiar weight in his hands, he grinned with at least a touch of nostalgia  "Right...just like /old/ times." He flipped the shoulder strap over his head and settled the little gray hand held's protective leather case at his hip. "Bunnie will be your contact, remember, we don't know what the conditions will be like there, and contact may be....."

A grim grin quirked his mouth briefly as he sardonically remembered the last time he'd been here, years ago, but he pulled at the sleeve of his glove, his grin shifting to anticipation. "So...the two of you ready?" He asked the companions that stood behind him.

Last edited by Admin on Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:39 pm; edited 5 times in total

Admin
Admin

https://massabsconding.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

What Lies in the Ruins Empty Re: What Lies in the Ruins

Post by RickCressen Sun Jun 16, 2013 2:55 pm

It had only been a week since they'd had a little time off. Unfortunately for Fox, the landlord was a massive jerk for him and had actually kicked him out of the apartment claiming that it had been a "storage facility" and not a place someone was living even though it was being paid for. His friends in the Kawa Crossing Defense Clan had been nice enough to at least store his belongings in the building until he got a new place, though this had currently got interrupted by their services being required again. At least Lynn was nice enough to let Fox stay at her place in the interim. Aside from that, it was a nice, restful business as usual, except for the two of them catching up on some sleep that they needed from the early rise back at Sanctuary and the time zone shifting.

However, they were back and rested, though Fox looked a little more dissheveled, though neither of them let on to what was happening. It was irrelevant with the task at hand. The two of them looked over the ruins of East Robotropolis with the slight, somber sense of disappointment and discouragement at what had once been an amazing city now nothing but a crumbled, broken down, uninhabitable ruin. The feeling wouldn't last as Sonic spoke up.

"Ready as I'll ever be." Fox replied, cracking his knuckles.

"I'm ready, though try not to run too fast." Lynn said. "There's no way we can keep up with you." She jokingly added with a smirk on her face.

The two Kawa Crossing natives were ready to rumble!

RickCressen

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:03 pm

The blue hedgehog threw a hand into the air with a chuckle.  "I'll try to remember that." He returned as a parry to Lynn's joke, then shifted his shoulders.  "Keep on your guard guys." He said in with more seriousness as they began descending the small rise that lead down into the ruins.  "This was one of Robotnik's major strong holds.  Though we rocked it good more then five years ago," which explained why it now lay in shambles, "hard to say what might still be lurking down there.  We've learned well enough before that old Robobutt's badniks like to pop up where you least expect them, especially in parts of Robotropolis that are 'abandoned'."  Sonic allowed himself a private shudder at what had originally been here. Buried under so much rubble now you'd never dig it out, he thought with grim satisfaction.

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RickCressen Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:21 pm

"Good to know." Fox said, now being extra vigilant, though not even he knew how good that was going to do him since there could be a very well-conceived trap that not even he could protect himself from falling into.

Lynn, however, took it in more stride. "Got ya." She replied.

The two of them followed Sonic's lead down the rise, being wary all the way about what could pop up to greet them as a welcoming committee. They understood Robotnik used to be here, so whatever was in here that they figured Eggman was looking for was going to be dangerous, but the lack of knowledge of the terrain kept them on edge. At least they had Sonic to fall back on for questions.

"So I assume you know right we're were going to?" Fox asked. "So you know what might've been around here better than we would?"

RickCressen

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:30 pm

"Well, it's been quite a few years since I was last here. We really didn't come back to this place after it was destroyed.  There wasn't much left of it, and we didn't know what kind of fall out and other toxins were created during it's destruction.  So a lot has changed, but yeah, I was pretty familiar with it before that, and knew my way around well enough to get under Robobutt's skin frequently." He smirked, then shrugged. "As far as where we're going...well, we only know Eggman's been poking around the north sector the most, and seems to have made some excursion to get /under/ the city.  Other then that, it's all one big blank....and that, my new pals, is where we come in.  Welcome to Scouting Detail."

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RickCressen Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:36 pm

"Well I can't say I've ever been on scouting detail" Fox said. "So how does this work? We stick together, split up, or just try to keep up with the notes you as you do all the work?" Fox asked.

He was only joking with the third one of course, but it was still pretty hairy. They'd get more done if they split up, but the inherent dangers of being alone in a ruined area where Robotnik's goons could still be active and dangerous from any direction made lone travel potentially hairy. Not to mention that the Kawa Crossing residents had no idea of the area regardless of its condition or just how deep the rabbit hole goes when it came to what kind of experiments the doctor had been tinkering around with.

"Maybe sticking together at first and then splitting up?" Lynn chimed in with a suggestion. In the end though, Sonic had more experience, so she would likely go with whatever he had in mind.

RickCressen

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:47 pm

"Bingo!" Sonic responded to Lynn's suggestion with a chuckle and a wink. "Great guess. For now,we're better of staying together. The ol' hedgehog has a bit of an idea for where we need to go already, and since you guys are new to scouring locations in Robotropolis, you're mostly tagging along with me to help out and learn the ropes. Sal thought this would be a good introduction mission for you guys. Not all of our work is busting Eggman's menaces. As FF, we have to do a lot of recon too.
Cool part is though, we don't have too far to go. This place being a junk heap means we have more freedom in where we can make our entrance. And speaking of which......seems to me there used to be an old access route into the complex we're looking for....right around.....here!" He brought them up around a street bend that lead into a cove like dead end as he through open his hands to indicate what would appear to them to be a route that had been cut off by collapsed debris, blocking their progress.

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RickCressen Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:10 pm

"Nice dead end here" Fox joked a bit. "I assume you're going to just make your own entrance as you usually do?"

If there had been something there originally, it was blocked off and he certainly couldn't tell in the rubble. Lynn tried to get a good look but all she could see was debris as well. Of course, they weren't familiar with the area, but that's what the whole mission was about, wasn't it?

"I bet Robotnik's lab was this nice looking even before all this happened." Lynn sarcastically remarked.

RickCressen

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:19 pm

Sonic didn't seem to be at all phased that the passage that was once there was now covered in rubble. "No sweat!" He said with a confident grin. "Though you guys /might/ wanna stand back just a bit." He added as he crouched down till he was nearly touching the ground, then like a loaded spring, recoiled with a leap into the air, flipping quickly into a tucked roll that turned the blue figure into a spinning buzz saw as he hit the mass of concrete and rubble. A shrill noise and sparks filled the air briefly, and then there was a massive rumbling as the now cut free rubble crumbled to the ground and the more solid section fell outward as a giant concrete disk. Sonic landed on the ground next to them with a smug expression. "Tada! One entrance, courtesy of the King of Awesome and Blue! Thank you, thank you!" He beamed between bows to a mock cheering audience, then straightened up and took point again. "Right this way!"

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by RickCressen Sat Jul 06, 2013 2:41 pm

Fox and Lynn gave him a short applause to play along.

"Well, let's go!" Fox said, walking ahead first with Lynn following. He looked into the entrance briefly before going in, Lynn also taking a good look inside. The time for their joking was over. They had to be in full serious mode now, lest some kind of security system wish to vaporize them where they stand.

Of course, they left room for Sonic to scoot in there to and do as he needed as well.

RickCressen

Back to top Go down

Post by Genisay Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:22 pm

The cut away entrance opened into an expansive room, far enough across on each side that the dim lighting made it impossible to make out the details of each of the distant walls. Dark silhouettes along the ground described piles of built up rubble, and what one may have been walls that separated the chamber into smaller sections. A strange kind of breathy echo whispered through the room, perhaps a whole some where that a breeze whistled through. Sonic had already moved on further into the room, and though the lighting was bad --- the broken windows were high on the wall, and diminished the light of the dim sky even further--- he did not seem at all bothered. Opening a bag hanging from his side, he pulled out a small, roughly rectangular object and flipped it open. A soft glow emanated from the inside of it's top half.

"Nicole: Boot up Diagram of East Mobotropolis, North Sector, Factory House 5."
"Yes, Sonic." Came the hollow, mechanical voice in reply to the command as small three dimensional map was projected into the air above the handheld.

Glancing down at the projection, Sonic studied the rough tracings that had been placed over the diagram, then lifted his head again to glance around the room, placing memories over the changed landscape and getting his barrings. Some what distracted, he turned and started walking toward the room's south wall, allowing Lynn and Fox time to join him as he searched for the entrance to the next step of their trip. He had not gone far into the gloom when he was abruptly brought up short. Before him, a section of the floor had crumbled and sunk into a sharp decline, and the resulting pit had filled with water that appeared black in the dim light, it's surface glimmering where the computer and the faint day light illuminated it. The pit of water cut off their path to the passage way, and stair case system the blue hedgehog had been looking for.

For a moment the hedgehog was frozen, staring across the water's surface, then as Lynn and Fox would have approached, his hand snapped up to the small radio device he wore, and a soft click indicated it's activation.

"Bunnie?" He spoke up once he's gotten conformation of the line connecting, though the signal was a bit fuzzy. "No one told us there were going to be water hazards here!" His posture had tensed slightly, and a faint edge of demanding anger was in his voice. He didn't seem to be trying to hide the fact that this discovery had annoyed him.

*I'm sorry, Sugah Hog, there wasn't anything in the reports about it. Ya'll know the team was only watching ol' Eggman's activities from a distance. Hmmm....maybe one of the reservoirs gave at some point and flooded the place.*
"............" Only being able to hear Sonic's end of the conversation, to them his pause would have indicated that he was listening, but Bunnie took it as more.

*Sugah Hog?......Are you okay with this? Would ya'll rather we got some one else to.....?*

"Nah, it's alright, Bunnie", he cut her off, "I'm sure we'll find a way to manage. This is too important, and we need to know what Eggman is up to as soon as we can." Bunnie could hear the slight hollowness to his voice over the comm line, but it may not have been evident to the two companions with him in the room.

*Alright, sugah...but ya'll keep in contact, okay....?*

"Will do. Over and out." Sonic let his hand drift from the comm unit to his side.

"....................."

Genisay
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum